I always done this, especially after a busy day and don't feel like eating out, rice cooker is my best cooking companion! One of the best dishes / rice I always made successfully delicious using rice cooker is "Claypot" Chicken Rice with Mushroom and Salted Fish! It is so yummy and never fail me, but hey let's try something else! This was my first attempt to make Hainanese Chicken Rice in the shortest time --- 30 minutes was my target.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Deboned chicken thigh ----- x1 (Corn Fed Chicken, approx. RM8)
- Rice ------ x 1 mug
- Shallot ----- x 2 (sliced)
- Ginger (preferably young ginger) ----- x 1 (Approx. palm size; few slices for the rice, finely chopped the remaining to make chicken dip)
- Cucumber ---- few slices
- Sesame Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Deep fried shallot rings. Put half (with oil) onto the uncooked rice, keep half for the dippings.
- Prepare the rice according to the type of rice and rice cooker (you do know how much of water needed for a mug of rice, don't you?). Mix in fried shallot rings and a few slices of ginger; place chicken thigh on top of the rice and cook together.
- Pour in some sesame oil on a hot pan. Saute the finely chopped ginger on medium heat until turn golden, add in a pinch of salt to taste. Mixed with the deep fried shallot rings to make it the ginger dip / condiment for the chicken rice.
Most of my time spent on de-skin and chopping the ginger. My rice cooker finished the remaining job within the next 15 ~ 20 minutes! Mission accomplished!