Re-post on 17/12/12 for Christmas. My new suggestion to my original recipe is to DOUBLE, or even TRIPLE up the quantity of MIXED DRIED FRUITS (from 2 cups to 4 or 6 cups) to make sure every space in the fruit cake was filled with fruits!!! I also suggested to soak / marinate these mixed fruits in Brandy a day before baking. Its so simple, just throw all fruits (6 cups in this Improved! Recipe) on a big bowl and pour in some brandy. If you only have the expensive Hennessy XO at home and feel that its too wasted for a baking, 2 big spoonful of XO will do. Mix thoroughly, cover with cling wrap, refrigerated it and mix again a few hours later.
Most of the recipe found online tells you to "ripe" your fruit cake for a week or two, but that's if you follow the "mat salleh"'s method and include rum in your recipe. I don't have rum at home and I am happy without it; second, I don't think the cake still edible after 2 weeks in room temp, it should be covered with mold. Our country simply too hot and humid.
So this is a simpler version of fruit cake, still as rich as it is, but you can eat almost immediately after baking. Here is the recipe:
3/4 butter (agak-agak, about 165g)
1/2 cup of sugar (standard measuring cup for cooking, not your coffee cup~)
1/4 cup brown sugar (molasse, or palm sugar is OK)
1 1/4 cups of wheat flour (about 170g)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder (Baking Soda)
Deep baking pan (6x3 inches or any size)
Greaseproof paper (baking paper) for the baking pan
1) Blend the butter and sugar together with the mixer until smooth.
2) Add eggs to the mixture, one by one until all blended together.
3) Shift the flour together with half teaspoon of baking soda, then carefully add into the mixture, little by little.
4) Add in mixed fruit
5) Pour the well-blended mixture onto the baking pan. This recipe should make two small fruit cake.
6) Preheat the oven. Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and bake at 180 ° C for about one hour.
7) Remove the aluminum foil after 45 minutes to brown the cake surface, but you should always check
the cake in the 30 min and 45 min mark to make sure you don't burn the cake.
8) To make sure the cake is cooked, plug in the middle of the cake with a wooden stick or chopstick
to see if the cake is still watery, soft or is ready to eat!
|Will add in more mixed fruit next time, 2 cups simply not enough!|